A self-tensioning stretcher may be advisable if, for example
- observations have revealed deformations, including pockets, bumps, corner folds, etc.,
- the canvas moves when doors or windows are opened,
- other signs (lifting, etc.) suggest variations in the tension of the canvas,
- uncontrolled variations in humidity (events, etc.) should be cause for concern, both in extension and retraction (lining papers),
- the support or preparation is very reactive,
- ANDif there is sufficient space to allow automatic extension between the work and the frame (from 5 mm to 15 mm depending on the situation and the format).